Job Ad: Communication and Outreach Librarian, New York, NY
The Communication and Outreach Librarian will be responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies to promote library resources and services to students, faculty and staff within the Mount Sinai Medical Center. This position will also perform a core role in the delivery of reference and instructional services in support of research, education and clinical care. Raising awareness of issues related to scholarly communication and contributing content to the library website will also be a focus of this position. The Gustave L. and Janet W. Levy Library is part of Academic Informatics and Technology, which also includes the Archives, Instructional Technology and the IT Academic Support Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement outreach initiatives using social media, the library website, newsletters, and other digital and print communication channels
- Collaborate with other librarians to evaluate current reference, consultation and education services, and recommend, design and implement new services
- Develop and lead library efforts to increase awareness of copyright, author rights, understanding of publisher agreements, open access, “altmetrics”, and other scholarly communication issues
- Create and maintain content on the library website, including tutorials and resource guides
- Design services to support faculty publishing, including personal information management, research impact, preparation of manuscripts, and database searching assistance
- Develop, present and evaluate in-person and online instruction in database searching and information management to support evidence-based practice, scholarly research, and life-long learning
- Consult with faculty on creating search strategies for bibliographic databases, managing information retrieval, and preparing presentations
- Evaluate biomedical resources and tools for potential library acquisition
- Keep current with scholarly communication and social media trends, emerging technologies and reference practices in academic health sciences libraries
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage faculty and students through creative marketing initiatives
- Experience creating high-impact web-based educational materials and user guides
- Demonstrated understanding of effective social media outreach and monitoring
- Strong knowledge of scholarly communication issues and trends in academic research and publishing
- Experience providing reference and instruction in an academic library
- Experience searching the biomedical literature, including PubMed and Web of Science
- Hands-on experience with a variety of digital collaboration, presentation and communication tools
- Ability to work independently and collegially with teams and individuals across departments and organization
Email cover letter and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the job title “Communication and Outreach Librarian” in the subject line.
Please visit the Levy Library website to learn more about the library.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center–An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
Phone: (212) 241-6138
Fax: (212) 241-4925