Job Ad: Head of Library Services, Merck, West Point, PA
Recruit, develop, and energize a global Library Services organization and foster a transformational culture of knowledge sharing and connectivity. Design and deliver the Library Services Strategy in alignment with Knowledge Discovery/Knowledge Management (KD/KM) strategy to improve information access and decision-making throughout Merck.
– As a member of the KD/KM Leadership Team, develop and manage the Library Services organization, and associated vendor relationships and budget, in alignment with KD/KM and Merck strategies.
– Coordinate with Client Services and MRL leadership to actively develop requirements for Library Services, and translate business needs into collection development and functional project plans.
– Partner with KDKM Leadership, MRL-IT, and Information Management groups across Merck to deliver a global Digital Library.
– Provide outreach to Merck stakeholders, and deliver online training and awareness for Library resources.
– Build and maintain leadership in the field of electronic content access, delivery, and use, including Digital Libraries, Search Engines, and information delivery to desktop applications, virtual workspaces, and mobile devices.
– Constantly benchmark Merck Library Services against external standards and best practices, monitor content usage and ROI, and ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including Copyright.
– Serve as the Merck SME on scholarly communication and publishing standards, e-content licensing and procurement, and the design and development of techniques for information aggregation, organization, and linking.
– Collaborate externally with standards bodies and content vendors to shape the development of emerging library products and services, including delivery platforms, digital rights management solutions, and APIs.
– Minimum of a BS/BA required, preferably in Information or Life Sciences
– A minimum of 5 years managing a Library Services function.
– Demonstrated experience managing direct reports, consultants/contractors, and ad hoc project teams.
– Requires excellent leadership, communication, and stakeholder management skills.
– Demonstrated experience delivering world-class Library Services capabilities in a pharmaceutical company.
– Ability to partner effectively with senior management, with demonstrated experience managing a team of FTEs and contract/contingent resources.
– Ability to define and execute a Library Services Strategy that will enable decision-making and collaboration at all levels of the organization.
Requisition # RES001336.