Job Ad: Data Services/Metadata Librarian, New York City
This search has been reopened.
Position: Data Services/Metadata Librarian
Department: Library Resources Management
FLSA status: Academic
Salary: Negotiable starting $60K
Weill Cornell Medical College Library seeks a dynamic, energetic, knowledgeable and self-motivated librarian to provide leadership to the library and its partners for data services and resource discovery through the application of metadata and intellectual access activities. Reports to Associate Director, Resources Management
The data services/metadata librarian supports the creation, discovery of and access to the institution’s data and to the library’s digital and print content through consultation, metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and national cataloging and metadata standards.
- Provide metadata consulting and project analysis services for faculty members and students in support of their teaching, research, and learning needs; prepare metadata profiles for implementation and/or conversion; and serve as a lead person for metadata related issues and problem solving.
- Provide expertise and leadership in developing data services and promoting these services to the institution.
- Develop and conduct outreach, workshops, and course-related instruction to support data analysis, metadata creation and data curation.
- Collaborate with health and life sciences librarians at Cornell University and Hunter College to further e-science initiatives.
- Assist in the development of a collection of resources and data sets appropriate to WCMC and the Clinical Translation Science Center.
- Advise on policies, standards and workflows for acquisition, description, access, and preservation of print and digital information. Perform original cataloging as required.
- Supervise .25 FTE copy-cataloger.
- Graduate degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution or the completion of significant coursework towards the degree.
- Advanced degree in basic sciences and/or significant biomedical background preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of numeric data resources and an understanding of the application of numeric data in biomedical sciences.
- Knowledge and experience with metadata and cataloging standards and schema such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, AACR2, RDA, MeSH, and NLM classification.
- Experience with statistical software (SPSS, SAS, STATA), and/or with GIS software such as ArcGIS and ArcView preferred.
- Excellent technical, written and verbal communication skills and teaching/presentation skills.
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated initiative, the ability to manage multiple projects and a commitment to professional development.
Applicants should send cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of 3 references to Anny Khoubesserian, Administrative Manager, Weill Cornell Medical Library, 1300 York Ave., New York, NY 10065-4896, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Weill Medical College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, citizenship or veteran status. (EOE/M/F/D/V)