2012 Disaster Health Information Outreach and Collaboration Projects
**National Library of Medicine Funds Seven New Disaster Health Information Outreach and Collaboration Projects**
For the second year, NLM is funding seven projects for partnerships between libraries and organizations that have disaster-related responsibilities. The partnerships will work together to improve use of disaster medicine and public health information by librarians, health professionals, first responders, emergency planners and others responsible for disaster preparedness, response and recovery. Projects will increase the use of high-quality online resources on disaster topics including those from the National Library of Medicine.
The 2012 projects are:
- Arkansas Department of Health (Little Rock, AR)) in partnership with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Library
- University of Miami, Louis Calder Memorial Library (Miami, FL) with the University of Miami, The William Lehman Research Center for the Department of Surgery
- Southeastern Regional Medical Center (Lumberton, NC) with the Robeson County Department of Public Health, Robeson County Emergency Management, and Lumberton Emergency Management
- Western Maryland Area Health Education Center Learning Resource Center (Cumberland, MD) with the Allegany College of Maryland Health Continuing Education Department, Allegany County Health Department, Emergency Preparedness Caucus, Frostburg State University Pre-Medical Society, Garrett County Health Department, Meritus Health Medical Library and Education Department, Social Work Caucus- Allegany/Garrett Counties, Social Work Caucus – Washington County, Washington County Health Department, and the Western Maryland Health System Parish Nurse and Health Minister Program
- MESH – Managed Emergency Surge for Healthcare, Inc. (Indianapolis, IN) with the Central Indiana Health Sciences Libraries Consortium
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (San Diego, CA) with the Public Health Services, Health and Human Services, County of San Diego
- Georgia Health Sciences University, Robert B. Greenblatt, MD Library (Augusta, GA) with the Georgia East Central Health District
For further information, please refer to http://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/2012disasteroutreachawards.html. For summaries of projects funded in 2011 visit http://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/2011disasteroutreachawards.html.
The National Library of Medicine (http://www.nlm.nih.gov) is the world’s largest biomedical library and provides extensive online health information resources. Visit the NLM Disaster Information Management Research Center site (http://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov) to learn more about disaster-related health information from WISER (hazardous materials information for emergency responders), REMM-Radiation Emergency Medical Management, CHEMM-Chemical Hazards Emergency Medical Management, and other resources.
Elizabeth Norton, MLS, MPH, MBA
Disaster Information Management Research Center
Specialized Information Services Division
National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
6707 Democracy Blvd., Suite 510
Bethesda, MD 20892-5467