Job Ad: Executive Director, Health Sciences Libraries Consortium (HSLC), Philadelphia PA
Salary: Dependent on experience and qualifications (minimum $90K)
HSLC, located in Philadelphia, is a not-for-profit, grant-funded consortium that supports, develops, and coordinates library services, and information and technology resources for more than 2900 qualifying public, academic, school and special libraries in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. HSLC services include Pennsylvania Electronic Library Catalog, Ask Here PA, The POWER Library Network, the Pennsylvania Digital Repository, and SPARK- Pennsylvania’s Statewide Library System.
HSLC Board of Directors is seeking a dynamic Executive Director with strong leadership skills, strategic vision, and entrepreneurial spirit. The Executive Director is the chief operating officer of the Consortium, and is charged with implementing the policies and programs of the Consortium, exercising general supervision and management over all the property and affairs of the Consortium, and coordinating day-to-day operations and activities, and developing and implementing long-term organizational strategies and goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and administration of the budget.
- Oversight of all HSLC systems, in particular the ongoing transition to the Evergreen System.
- Preparation of grant applications.
- Exploration and development of funding sources.
- Negotiation of agreements, licenses, and contracts with members and outside agencies.
- Management of a staff of 18, including hiring, training, and evaluation.
- Communication and presentation of Organization goals, activities, and progress to Board of Directors, Members, and stakeholders.
- Other duties and assignments as the Board of Directors may require.
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies:
- A graduate degree is required, with a strong preference for information systems, library science, or business degrees. Other degrees will be considered, depending upon work experience.
- At least 10 years increasingly responsible professional experience, with a minimum of five years management level experience preferably with a large educational or research institution, public library system, information systems development group, or library or research information vendor.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and commitment to excellent customer service.
- Adaptability to changing funding patterns, and ability to identify new revenue sources.
- Willingness to consider and take measured risks, especially in the area of emerging technologies.
- Experience with the application of computer-based systems in library operations with an emphasis on Open Source environments.
- Enthusiasm for keeping abreast of new technological developments and insight into their potential for creative application to library services.
- Desire to foster a collaborative work environment.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names of three professional references with telephone numbers and e-mails to the Search Committee: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until December 3, 2012, or until position is filled. Application packages must be submitted electronically, neither fax nor print will be accepted. Documents must be in Word 97-2003 or higher, or .pdf format. Submit any questions about the position or application process to the e-mail above.
HSLC is an equal opportunity employer.