Planning Awards Available
The NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region (MAR), as part of its outreach and library improvement programs and its Strategic Program Plan for Network Members, is accepting applications from MAR full and affiliate network members to plan or determine the feasibility for future library improvement and outreach projects. Library improvement includes strengthening the technological capabilities of libraries to respond to changes in the health information environment and to users’ needs, the ability of libraries to share resources, share and build on best practices, identify emerging opportunities and threats to libraries and develop a plan to address them. Outreach includes reaching out to communities that a library does not usually serve, or expand services to communities that are underserved and offering training, document delivery partnerships, collaborative programming and reference and research support.
Planning is the foundation for success of any project. Three awards at $15,000 each are available.
Deadline for submission of applications: August 1, 2008
Examples of potential planning award projects are:
- Developing, expanding or promoting consortia that provide improved access to biomedical literature or provide improved library services
- Developing models of e-licensing and e-serials management that can be used by small to medium-sized hospital libraries
- Developing a region-wide leadership institute and mentoring program
- Hosting a series of planning meetings with potential outreach partners.
- Conducting a state-wide library disaster/emergency preparedness planning meeting.
- Holding meetings to identify historical medical collections in the region for inclusion in NLM’s Directory of History of Medicine collections.
Other planning projects or ideas are welcome.
- Full or affiliate MAR members in Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
- Partnerships between MAR members and community, health, senior and diversity organization are strongly encouraged.
For more information, including cost proposal instructions and online application form go to: http://nnlm.gov/mar/funding/planning.html
If you have questions or require assistance contact Kathel Dunn, Associate Director, at 1-800-338-7657, 212-263-4197, or firstname.lastname@example.org . Awards will be announced on the MAR discussion list, MARL as well as the MAR newsletter, the MARquee.