New Features in Medline Plus
On March 28, 2007, MedlinePlus will introduce a number of new features to the Health Topic pages. Highlights include:
- Each page will now display a photograph or illustration.
- A brief summary of each disease or condition will also display at the top of the page. Composed by experienced medical writers and reviewed by NLM staff, the summaries are based largely on NIH and other government information. They are written at an easy-to-read level and include links to related topics. As of March 28th, summaries will appear on about half of English pages. All English and Spanish Health Topic pages will include a summary in the near future.
- Synonyms will appear right under the health topic name.
- A new category, labeled Start Here, will link users to overviews and important information for first-time visitors.
- A centrally-located Table of Contents will divide the MedlinePlus categories into six boxes to show users everything on the page at a glance.