About the Middle Atlantic Region (MAR)
The University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System (HSLS) serves as the Regional Medical Library (RML) for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region (NN/LM, MAR) under a 5-year contract with the National Library of Medicine. The MAR is one of eight regions in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) and includes Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
Our role is to support the efforts of the National Library of Medicine for this region to provide all U.S. health professionals with equal access to biomedical information and improve the public’s access to information so they can make informed decisions about their health.
To accomplish this, the MAR forms partnerships with libraries and other organizations, and offers a variety of in-person and online training for health professionals, community organizations, health information centers, and public, hospital and academic medical libraries throughout Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Additionally, the MAR provides funding opportunities to assist regional libraries and information centers in educating and supporting unaffiliated health professionals and consumers in their local areas.
Our outreach efforts are directed toward libraries, health professionals and consumers. Throughout the 2011-2016 contract, our role is to develop, fund and manage a variety of outreach awards that support programs to:
- Promote the changing role of librarians within their institutions and communities
- Provide access to biomedical information to unaffiliated health professionals, including behavioral and mental health professionals, the public health workforce, minority health workers and rural, underserved hospitals
- Improve health through access to reliable information for consumer groups, including soldiers, veterans and their families, senior citizens, caregivers, K-12 schools, community-based and faith-based organizations
- Mission and Goals
- Contract Summary (2011-2016)
Organizations we work with such as Advisory Committees and Groups, Resource Libraries, MLA Chapters, etc.
- Regional Advisory Committee
- Special Advisory Groups
- Resource Libraries
- Regional MLA Chapters
- Find a Member Library
- 2011-2016 Quarterly and Annual Reports
- 2012 Membership Assessment Report
- Resource Library Directors' Meeting (September 2011)