Library Student Outreach Award
Call for Applications
The National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Greater Midwest Region (NN/LM GMR), under contract with the National Library of Medicine (NLM), announces the availability of a Library Student Outreach Award up to $1,000 to attend the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting 2013 in East Peoria, IL. The purpose of this award is to allow students to participate in meetings, conference sessions and other activities designed for them to learn about the importance of health information outreach and services conducted by librarians in the Greater Midwest Region. If you have questions regarding this award, please contact Jacqueline Leskovec, Outreach, Planning and Evaluation Coordinator. Email Jacqueline.
Deadline for applications: September 6, 2013
Library students currently attending a graduate program in Library or Information Sciences located in the Greater Midwest Region (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin) or who are currently attending a graduate program in Library or Information Sciences and reside in the GMR are eligible to apply.
The GMR intends to fund up to five (5) awards. This award is intended to cover approved expenses, up to $1,000 per student, related to conference attendance, including: registration, travel, lodging, and per diem.
Period of Performance
October 5, 2013 – October 7, 2013
- Download the application to submit via email
- Provide a copy of resume or curriculum vitae
- Provide a letter of recommendation from library faculty or other library professional
The evaluation criteria are listed in the order of relative importance with points assigned for evaluation purposes. Applications will be scored against these criteria, so please be certain that all criteria have been addressed. Applications will be reviewed internally by GMR staff. Total Possible Points: 20
- Applicant's demonstrated interest and/or experience in health information outreach (10 points)
- Applicant's description of how this award could impact future career goals (5 points).
- Strength of the applicant's letter of recommendation. The letter should describe why the applicant is well-suited for this award (3 points)
- Inclusion of a well-defined plan to use the information gained from the conference with fellow library students, colleagues or by performing future outreach activities (2 points)
During the Conference
During the conference, recipients are required to:
- Attend the conference for at least two (2) days
- Attend as many of the scientific and poster sessions as possible
- Attend the Mentor/Mentee Meet & Greet
- Staff the NN/LM GMR exhibit booth for an assigned period
- Retain receipts for travel and lodging for items over $10, excluding meals, and submit for reimbursement on the GMR Expense Report after the conference; reimbursement for meals will be covered by a fixed per diem
After the Conference
Within 30 days after the conference, award recipients are required to submit a final report via the NN/LM Outreach Application and Online Contract Reports System at: https://outreach.nlm.nih.gov. The GMR will provide instructions on accessing and using the system. The report should cover a variety of topics including:
- What was learned from any presentations, paper and poster sessions attended
- Description of compelling outreach projects by librarians in the Greater Midwest Region
- Ideas for future outreach services
The summaries here are included for your convenience. Please follow the links provided to view the full policies.
The Use of Appropriated Funds for Educational (Promotional) Items
Promotional items may not be purchased with GMR funds.
The awardee must acknowledge NLM's support in any media for this project.
Any electronic and information technology developed must adhere to Section 508 accessibility requirements.
Publications Resulting from NN/LM Funded Projects
Any final, peer-reviewed manuscripts that arise from this project must be submitted to PubMed Central upon acceptance for publication.
Development of Training Materials
Successful applicants are expected to use or adapt existing training materials before developing new materials.
Availability of Funding
All awards issued under the NLM Contract with University of Illinois at Chicago are subject to the Government's availability of appropriated funds.