Archive for August, 2011
Friday, August 26th, 2011
By Deb Werner
Biomedical Reference Librarian
The John Crerar Library
The University of Chicago
The videos for all recorded presentations from the 2011 Kathleen A. Zar Symposium, “We’re Teaching, But How Do We Know If They’re Learning?” Assessment of Library Instruction Activities, are now available. Links on the main symposium webpage http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/crerar/zar/ lead to YouTube, iTunes, and the UChicago News site. Slides and handouts from the Symposium are also available on the Program page. See the Program Schedule for links to slides.
Feel free to pass this information on to colleagues who may have an interest in the topic of assessment of library instruction activities. You should also feel free to post this on any appropriate discussion lists.
If you have any questions or comments about the symposium or the recordings, please contact Andrea Twiss-Brooks at email@example.com. If you have suggestions on topics for future symposia, we’re always looking for good ideas! Thanks, and enjoy.
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011
The GMR is pleased to announce the 20 members of the 2011-2016 Regional Advisory Council (RAC). Members include the 10 representatives chosen by their state’s health sciences library group (indicated by state) and additional members selected for their varieties of expertise. Welcome new RAC members!
- Mary Blackwelder, Medical College of Wisconsin Todd Wehr Library, Milwaukee, WI
- Jane Blumenthal, University of Michigan Taubman Medical Library,Ann Arbor, MI
- Pam Bradigan, Ohio State University Prior Health Sciences Library, Columbus, OH
- Arlis Dittmer, Blessing Health System, Blessing Health Professions Library, Quincy, IL
- Liz Fine (MN), University of Minnesota Health Sciences Libraries, Minneapolis, MN
- Martha Hardy, Metropolitan State University Library Services, St. Paul, MN
- Heather Holmes, Summa Health System Medical Library, Akron, OH
- Matt Hoy (WI), Mayo Clinic Health System Eau Claire Library and AV Services, Eau Claire, WI
- Rhona S. Kelley (IL), Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Library, Springfield, IL
- Joyce Lindstrom (IA), Des Moines University Medical Library, Des Moines, IA
- Mike McGraw (OH), Case Western Reserve University Cleveland Health Sciences Library, Cleveland, OH
- Cody McSellers-McCray, Westside Health Authority, Chicago, IL
- Barbara Platts (MI), Munson Healthcare Library Services, Traverse City, MI
- Elizabeth Rowan (KY), Shriners Hospital for Children Library/Learning Resource Center, Lexington, KY
- Travis Schultz (ND), Medcenter One Health Library, Bismarck, ND
- James Shedlock, Northwestern University Galter Health Sciences Library, Chicago, IL
- Elaine Skopelja (IN), Indiana University School of Medicine Library, Indianapolis, IN
- Corey B. Smith PhD, Great Plains Tribal Chairmen’s Health Board, Northern Plains Tribal Epidemiology Center, Rapid City, SD
- Janet Stith,University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center Library, Lexington, KY
- Molly Youngkin (SD), Wegner Health Science Information Center, Sioux Falls, SD
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011
The Greater Midwest Region’s Outreach Program Summary May 1, 2011-April 30, 2012 is now available online, linked from the GMR home page under News & Announcements or directly at the following URL: http://nnlm.gov/gmr/about/01outreachsum.html. You will find information about NLM targeted outreach populations and the following three new priorities the GMR has defined for the 2011-2016 contract:
- To place greater emphasis on engaging hospital librarians in the work of the Network, including assistance with professional development and capacity building;
- To develop programs that assist health professionals with integrating health information technologies into their clinical practice and research endeavors;
- To increase the health literacy of the public by developing programs for librarians, health professionals, and community health advocates that enhance public access to trusted health information resources that are culturally and linguistically appropriate.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2011
The GMR is pleased to announce the availability of two types of subcontracts for Year 1 of the GMR contract (May, 2011-April, 2012). A summary of all awards and subcontracts can be found on the Current Funding Opportunities page on our website: http://nnlm.gov/gmr/funding/.
Please read carefully as some of the procedures have changed.
Major Outreach Subcontracts:
The GMR is planning to fund two subcontracts at $25,000 each to support major outreach projects that address the health information needs of health professionals and the public. See the Request for Proposals (RFP) for this subcontract on the Current Funding Opportunities page of our website, or directly: http://nnlm.gov/gmr/funding/outreachmajor/outreachmajorsub.html. The deadline for submitting proposals is August 31, 2011. We apologize for the short turn-around on these subcontracts, but due to changes in our contract from the National Library of Medicine, all projects proposed for Year 1 must be completed by September 30, 2012. The short deadline is meant to allow enough time to review and process your proposals for a possible start date of October 1, 2011.
Target Outreach Subcontracts:
The GMR is planning to fund two subcontracts at $14,000 each to support specific target projects. The following five targets are recommended for Year 1 of the contract:
- Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA)
- Evidence-based health information practice
- E-science initiatives
- Health information technology
- Minority health professionals / Minority populations
For more details, please read the Call for Applications (CFA) provided for the Target Outreach subcontracts linked from the Current Funding Opportunities page mentioned above, or directly: http://nnlm.gov/gmr/funding/target/targetoutreachsub.html. The submission deadline for this subcontract is September 15, 2011. To streamline the application process for this subcontract, we have provided an online application form linked to the CFA.
As always, you may contact me or your state contact librarian if you have any questions.
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011
By Kacy Allgood
You are invited to the 2011 Midwest Chapter / Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, to be held in Indianapolis, October 8th-11th. The meeting will be held at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown. The conference hotel is located near the Circle Center Mall, Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts, the Indiana State Museum, Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indianapolis Zoo, NCAA Hall of Champions, an IMAX 3D Theater, outdoor art and canal. Nearby dining includes the Oceanaire, Shula’s Steak House, St. Elmo’s Steakhouse, and much more.
Online Registration for 2011 Midwest Chapter MLA/Indiana Health Sciences Librarians Association Annual Meeting is available now. Early bird discount registration ends September 8, 2011. More pricing information can be found on our website. (more…)