Technology Working Group Minutes
Date: January 26, 2012
Working Group Members Present: Max, Martha, Arlis, Beth, Elizabeth, Elisabeth, Sandy, Heather, Matt, Travis
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. CT
Technology Working Group Charge
- Max read off the Techology Working Group Charge
- Each member introduced themselves. Some keywords and phrases are below.
Digital literacy, giving back, working with nursing students in informatics, clinical informationist, technology is a part of everything I do (ipad, etc.), have received tech awards, to learn from each other, selfishly interested in what others are doing, keep updated in library tech, more knowledge about affordable tech, interested in tech in all forms (in libraries or outside), how are you libs using technology, free and low-cost tech, a number of technology award recipients on the call, learning about new trends, helping my state stay on the "cutting edge" of what's going on with technology, limited budget – challenges of being a very small library, tech can be shiny but not necessarily good so need to find the uses of it, how can we at the library provide resources and support
Midwest Chapter Tech Forum Ideas
- Library tools that integrate with EHRs – find authors of articles that have written these articles
- Cloud computing – what is it and what can it do? Whether it can be consistent with HIPAA
- Remote Access – EZProxy – ways for patrons to be able to remotely access licensed products, looking over licensing issues – remote etc., negotiation pricing (are we poking holes in the firewall or putting the institution at risk?)
- Communicating with IT
- Open Source ILS systems (Evergreen, Koha)
- Computer literacy skills for nursing students, etc. – informatics, EBM
- Ebooks – what is the current state of things is? (Diana Mitchell?), licensing/pricing issues
How often should we have these calls? It was decided they would be ad hoc.
Choosing a Chair for the working group: Matt Hoy agreed to be the chair.
Collaboration: The group decided on PBWorks. Max will set up group and send login information to everyone.
Technology Coordinator, NN/LM, GMR