Michelle Malizia, Associate Director of NN/LM’s South Central Region (SCR), has sent some updates about how they have been promoting NN/LM’s Emergency Preparedness & Response plan in her region–thanks, Michelle!
- Michelle made two formal presentations on the NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response plan at the South Central Chapter/MLA annual meeting recently
- SCR was also an exhibitor at the meeting, and their giveaway was a first-aid kit imprinted with the NN/LM logo and the URL for the EP&R toolkit (watch for a picture to be posted in the Picture Gallery)
- SCR’s booth was staffed by library school students from the region, who enjoyed giving “tours” of the toolkit site to meeting attendees
Michelle noted that their exhibit was received enthusiastically by the attendees, and they found that most of them had not seen the site or heard about it before, so it was an excellent opportunity to get the word out about NN/LM’s plan and services available in emergency preparedness. Also of note, several members of SCR’s Emergency Preparedness Planning Committee, which consists of a member from each state in the region, are presenters in next week’s MLA webcast (November 12), “Survival Tips and Stories: Expanding Library Service in Times of Disaster.”
- Marty Thompson, Director of the Robert M. Bird Health Sciences Library at the University of Oklahoma
- Ethel Madden, Director, Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans
- Deborah Halsted, Associate Director, Houston Academy of Medicine/Texas Medical Center
The South Central Region experienced opportunities to practice their emergency preparedness strategies this year, as they were directly in the path of Hurricane Ike, which came ashore at Galveston and moved inland over Houston. We look forward to hearing from all these actively involved emergency preparedness experts next week on the webcast.