Below is an excerpt from Disaster Planning Drills and Readiness Assessment presenting a continuous cycle of disaster preparedness. The emphasis of the entire brief is on bioterrorism planning for hospitals.
The Continuous Cycle of Disaster Preparedness
- Assemble an interdisciplinary team of key stakeholders for disaster planning.
- Review current resources, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Develop a detailed, written disaster response plan.
- Disseminate and practice the plan through education and drills.
- Evaluate the adequacy of knowledge, skills, and resources.
- Revise the plan based on objective data and lessons learned.
- Modify education and training as needed to target areas of weakness.
- Continuously repeat these steps.