Health Tip: Are You Disposed to the Holiday Blues?
Risk factors for holiday depression
Though the holiday season is joyous for many, it can be depressing for some.
The Cleveland Clinic mentions these risk factors for the holiday blues:
- Connecting the holidays with family problems or painful memories.
- Expecting that you should feel happy.
- Dealing with the loss of a loved one, or spending the holidays away from friends and family.
- Developing unrealistic expectations, or thinking about negative that occurred during the past year.
- Dealing with changes in the family, such as divorce or death.
- Drinking too much alcohol during the holidays.
Staying mentally healthy is not always easy, especially during tough times. Here are some tips that can help:
- Get support from family and friends
- Find time to take care of yourself and relax
- Have a healthy lifestyle, with regular exercise
For more information, visit the MedlinePlus on Mental Health: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mentalhealth.html [MedlinePlus News]